Dallas Historian

Gerlinger Motors

Kenworth was founded out of the ownership of Gerlinger Motors in Portland, Oregon, (1912) by brothers George T. Gerlinger and Louis Gerlinger Jr. In 1914, they expanded their dealership into vehicle manufacturing, marketing a truck named the Gersix. The name came from its inline six-cylinder engine, one of the first trucks equipped with this. the Gersix was framed in structural steel, intended for commercial use. It soon was in high demand by loggers in the Pacific Northwest.

In 1916, Gerlinger Motors relocated from Portland to Tacoma, Washington,leasing a building from Seattle businessman Edgar K. Worthington. Gerlinger Motors filed for bankruptcy in 1917 and was placed for sale, with E.K. Worthington acquiring the company with business partner Captain Frederick Kent. The name of the company was changed to Gersix Motors to enphasize connection to truck manufacturing.

 

 

pictures?

Sign On

Content © 2018-2021 by Dallas Historian

Designed by Sue Rohde

Content Management System provided by Website Rapid Development Version: 5.1.9.202011210755

Contributing third party vendors:

Ace Editor Version: 1.4.12

MySQL Version: 5.7.23-log

TinyMCE Version: 4.7.1

Responsive File Manager Version: 9.14.0

JetBrain's PHPStorm PHP Version: 7.4.11